Yesterday I spent the day doing some much needed self care. One of my favourite self care products are face and eye masks. There is something about putting on a face mask and especially a good eye mask while taking a bubble bath that is so relaxing.
I have been recently been really into masks and have even been trying out some new sheet masks, so I thought today I would share my favs and not so favourite masks.
Note: Some of the masks that didn’t work for me are loved by many people. I am not saying they are bad products, they just didn’t work out for me.
St. Ives Timeless Skin Mineral Clay Firming Mask– This is one of my favourite clay masks and it is is less then six bucks for 170ml. It has kaolin clay and 100% naturally sourced extracts. It is non-comedogenic and deep cleans to firm and tighten skin.
What I Love
- It makes my skin feel extra clean without that dry tightening feeling
- It has great ingredients and doesn’t irritate my skin
- Applies smoothly- it is clay based but doesn’t have those extra pieces that some clay masks have (which I know is good for the skin) but I like the smoothness of this one.
- Makes my skin feel super soft afterwards
- I love the packaging. I like when masks come in squeeze tubes instead of jars.
This mask claims to help with blemishes, redness, scares, with the mud formula that supports skin’s natural oil balance while six acids brighten and soften the complexion. It is kaolin based as well but unlike the St. Ives mask it has a blend of AHA and BHA acids which help clear you skin of blemishes. Also unlike the St. Ives mask it is pricey, $79.00 for 50g.
What I Love
- Although this does react with my sensitive skin and causes my skin to turn red, it does help clear up my breakouts
- I use it as a spot treatment and it lessens the redness of my breakout and speeds up my healing process
- It doesn’t dry out my skin like my salicylic acid acne treatment
What you may not like
- It is pretty harsh for sensitive skin and creates redness when using, however I do find it dissipates and leaves clearer skin
- It does have that tingle/burn like feeling
- I don’t like that it comes in a jar, but I also have never purchased the full size because I have been stocking up on samples when Sephora has them on their site, so I haven’t had to deal with the jar yet.
This mask isn’t The worse. But I am not a huge fan of it. The price is good $12.99 for 1.7oz. There is something in this mask that doesn’t like my skin (it could be the long list of ingredients) It causes my skin to be red and irritated (like the Glamglow) but doesn’t have the AHAs and BHAs in it to really have any effective on my acne. Its claims are similar to the other two, using Kaolin as its base and charcoal to draw out impurities in your skin. Since I do like the other two charcoal masks better and the St. Ives one is a lower end price, I will stick with those.
I only have one mask in this category and it is higher end. I haven’t tried many of these types of masks as I do have sensitive skin that tends to be on the drier side.
This mask claims to brighten and even your skin tone. It is also suppose to lessen the appearance of hyper-pigmentation. It is vitamin and mineral rich and has a stable pro-vitamin c that is suppose to help brighten.
What I Love
- There is something about a peel off mask that makes my skin feel super clean
- Peeling off this mask does remove dirts and oils out of your skin, which is the reason you feel super clean afterwards
- This softens and brightens my complexion
My only dislike of this mask is that no matter how thick I put this mask on it doesn’t peel off well. I end up peeling it off in small pieces which by the end of the mask gets pretty annoying.
Sephora Creamy Night Mask
I hate mentioning this one because I can’t seem to locate it on the Sephora site and it was on sale when I purchased it, so I think that means it may be discontinued but it is my absolute favourite mask of all time.
It is a rich mask with hyaluronic acid that rehydrates your skin. It claims to create a visibly luminous and radiant complexion by morning. It’s formula is also great for sensitive skin. I paid $10.00 for 60ml which for a product outside of the drugstore is a great price.
What I Love
- This mask is soooooo creamy and feels so nice on the skin. I put it on right before bed and it absorbs in enough that it doesn’t feel sticky or gross on the skin overnight.
- I wake up and my skin looks amazing. It is the only overnight product that I have noticeable results after using
- It is heavily scented but I really like the smell of it
Like the Sephora mask this is an overnight mask that is meant to deeply hydrate your skin. But unlike the Sephora mask I didn’t find this one did anything for me skin. It claims to recharge dehydrated skin with highly concentrated ionized mineral wate and ceramides. But it also has chesnut and apricot extracts that is suppose to gently exfoliate and brighten skin.
For me this broke me out and didn’t have the same effects for me as the Sephora mask. It has great reviews, so if you’re looking for an overnight mask this one may work for you, but for me it’s a no.
In the past I haven’t been the biggest fan of sheet masks. I think I have mentioned in previous posts how they make my feel claustrophobic. But from trying out more and more I have found a couple that I really like and have made me want to try more.
A sheet masks that claims to clear your pores while hydrating your skin. It is has salicylic acid and mugwort extract to exfoliate and sooth sensitive skin. It also has chameleon plant extract and centella asiatica extract which I am not sure what either of those are but this if the first sheet mask I have tried that I have truly loved.
What I Love
- This is the first mask I have ever used that did not cause any redness in my skin at all.
- My skin looked refreshed and smoothed after using but also my pores looked really good
- I don’t know if it is all the fruit ingredients but my skin loved this mask
A sheet mask for brightening uneven skin tone. It has lily extracts and grapefruit extract that is suppose to help pigmentation and brighten your complexion. This mask also has a ton of fruit extracts and is suppose to nourish your skin.
What I Love
- My skin looked so healthy after this mask
- These masks are soaked with product but not to the point where they are uncomfortable
- The remaining product absorbs well into the skin and just feels nice.
I have tried two out of three of these masks that each have a specific target- Hydrating, Mattifying, & Soothing- and both had bad effects on my skin. I ended up having bad breakouts and ended up opting not to try out the third. I do have more in depth review on these masks here Moisture Bomb Sheet Mask Review but not only did these break me out, but they were uncomfortable on the skin and had way more product then necessary.
This eye mask may be cheap $1.96 but I really liked them. I couldn’t believe the different it made in my under eye. It claims to soothe and revive dry skin, formulated with sea algae and gardenia flower extract. I didn’t notice a ton of moisture but it did plump my under eye and noticeable amount.
These eye masks are a bit more pricey at first look $64.00 but when you calculate that it comes with 30 pairs they equal $2.13 for each set, which is only 0.17 cents more then the drugstore ones. However I didn’t find these really did much for me. They have great reviews on the Sephora site, but for me I didn’t see the results I did from the Still Spa ones. I go into further detail on these masks in my monthly liking,loving, leaving post here October Liking, Loving & Leaving
So I want to end with a new mask I have been trying out that I have been really liking.
I have only tried this mask twice but I am loving it. It is a gentle sugar exfoliating mask that claims to leave your skin feeling soft, smooth with a natural glow. It has raw sugar and pomegranate seed powder. It smells so yummy and has pure honey and pumpkin extract, along with a bunch of other yummy natural ingredients. This mask is $52.00 for 95mls but a little bit goes a long way.
What I Love
- What I love the most is the effect it has on my other products. After using this mask all my other face care products seem to absorb better. When I wake up the morning after my moisturizer doesn’t feel like it is still sitting on my face.
- It smells yummy from its natural ingredients not from added perfume
- My face feels super smooth afterwards
- Gentle on my sensitive skin
So those are some of my fav face masks. I would love to hear your favourites. If you have any mask you think I should try out, please comment below and let me know.